1)Book title: Momo
2)Genre: Fantasy
3)Author: Michael Ende
4)Characters: Momo, Grey Gentlemen, Zerozamo, Gigi
5)Setting: Italy's amphitheater
6)The conflict or problem: One day, ghost-like grey gentlemen came to the city. They stole, took people's
time and made to their smoke. People all become busy, and they had hard time not having their own great time.
7)Summary of the story: It was a peaceful place of Italy. One day, people found out that there was a girl without her parents in the amphitheater. They gave foods, beds, and many other things. They liked Momo very much because she listened to them very carefully. One day, grey gentlemen came and stole other's time. They wanted to live more, and to live, they needed time smoke that makes them live. They tricked people that they would receive their left time to the 'time bank' and give it when they become old. As that happened, people all believed and became busier and crankier. Momo didn't know what happened, so she went to the doctor's house who controls the time all over the world. Grey gentlemen couldn't come into that house, so they waited. The doctor gave Momo a mission to bring the time flower to the grey gentlemen's smoke storage. As she went out, the time of the world stopped, and time that went to the grey gentlemen stopped, too. They ran crazily and went to the storage while Momo lost her way to see her last best friend, Gigi. Because Momo slept for about a year, she lost her best friend Zerozamo and Gigi. She went to the storage and killed the last grey gentleman. At last, everybody got their time back and not busy, having their own time.
8)Are the characters believable?: No. It is fantasy with grey men, who are ghosts. Everybody in this story is unbelievable because they are all effected by grey men, and especially Momo saved people by stopping their time by the flower of time. However, without grey men, I mean if there were no grey men for sure, everybody is believable because it is just the same as people who are living right now. Nowadays people became so busy that we don't have enough time to have our own time. Especially for Korean students like me, we are always having thousands of homework and academies that we couldn't bare. Therefore, I think this story is unbelievable bus actually believable for that part.
9)My opinion: I felt many things after reading this. Some part of happiness was great. I got a lesson from this story that I shouldn't live like those people who were tricked to grey men. But even right now, I am not having enough time for myself. In this camp, GLPS, I am absolutely having my time to study my own things and research whatever I want. However, in the outside world, my time goes away by my homework, no free time. It takes about 10 hours to do my English homework, and that is the truth. I have to sleep, so I can't even research what I want. I almost cried because I was so same as my own life, feeling that I don't want to live like this. I am going to correct my own life, having enough time for myself, studying what I want.
10)On a scale of 1 to 10: I think it could be 8.5. It was very creative to talk about what the author wanted by making the time problem of that period, more serious in now society. By talking about it in fantasy, many people felt sad and tried to change their life style to good parts. Because it gave lesson to so many people, I believe the score of this should be high. However, I felt a bit sad that this wouldn't happen easily in the real world, like having enough and fine time for myself and everybody. But by reading this kind of story, I hope people's mind can change.
Blair,
ReplyDeleteWow - your article is pretty long. Overall, I could see the effort that you have put in to write an insightful review. You did a good job. There were certain parts, though, were I was not clear on your message. You are a bright student; to further develop your writing skills, I hope that you take time to perfect grammar and syntax rules. These are basic elements of good writing. With time and effort, I know you can do it. Good luck and I hope GLPS has been a memorable camp for you.